Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Just a little further....

     When I met Mike, one of the things I loved most about him is that he really encouraged me to do things on my own.  He liked the idea of me developing my talents and just doing what I wanted to do.  He never coddled me in any way and always encouraged me and believed in me even when I did not believe in myself. 

     Well, last night Mike and I went  for an evening walk and as usual he made me walk further than I wanted to.  Okay, so this has been a pet peeve of mine for many years.  Mike and I have been married for over 21 years now.  And from day one he has always tried to push me to do more than I wanted to do at the time.  This angers me greatly!! Why?  I dont know.  It may be because I don't like to be told what to do.  It may be because I dont like to do anything I don't WANT to do at the time.  It may be because it wasnt MY idea or it may be because I dont think I will make it.  Or maybe I am just stubborn...okay, okay, there's no maybe about that....Anyway, I dont know, but whatever the reason, it really gets on my nerves and I always find myself getting more and more upset with him as he tries harder and harder to calm me down and defuse my anger.

     So, as we were walking down the road at 7:00 last night and it was getting darker and darker outside, he talks me into going just to the top of the hill where Springville runs into Mapleton.  He say's "there's a house there that I want to show you".  So, I relunctantly agree and as we get closer I notice that it is now pitch black out and we still have to walk up this hill.  As we finally get to the top, I feel releived that we will see this house and then be able to turn around and go back.  Well, as we finally get to the top and I am complaining about walking that far, he then tells me that it is just around the corner and down the street!!! DANG IT!  He did it again!  I thouhgt we were just walking to the top of the hill but NO, we are walking to the top, around the corner and down the street!  As I am whinning and complaining, and Mike is trying to calm me, I am cracking up inside!  I am thinking about how funny we would sound to a stranger listening to us and just how silly this whole situation actually is.  Then I turn around to look at how far we had gone.  And do you know what??? The view was absolutely beautiful!  It was breath taking.  And once I was there, I didnt mind at all.  I love where we live there is just so much beauty all around us.

     So, I got to thinking about how thankful I am for my "pushy husband".  He really is a motivator.  I may not always like the way he goes about it but he always encourages me to do more.  Never letting me settle for mediocrity.  Like I said, sometimes he really gets on my nerves with his "you can do more" attitude.  But, you know what?  Heavenly Father knows me SO WELL.  He certainly knew me when he sent me Mike.  He is the same with our boys and I look at what great young men they have turned out to be and I think...Man it is a good thing I married this man.  He has always been like a steady river...always determined to keep going and to make it up the mountain...even when the mountain has a whiner like me climbing it!
So, from now on I am going to try to not whine so much about going "just a little further".....

2 comments:

  1. You just described me and Jerrys relationship..I think we all came from the same mold..Jerrys the pusher Im the resister..Too funny..

    ReplyDelete